Tuesday, August 25, 2009

When Daddy Comes Home

Normally, I like to write my thoughts and then polish them up later. I've been so busy with a move to Alaska that I don't have time to do that right now, but I wanted to share the briefest insight I had today. For the last month, the kids and I have been plugging along without Brad, without their daddy. We've experienced more than our fair share of meltdowns (some of them mine) and teary bedtimes. The kids have started a new school, a new schedule, and a transplant that has been anything but smooth. Jonathan keeps saying, "When is Daddy coming home?" Jacqueline keeps saying, "I wish Daddy were here!"

As I was driving today, a friend called. That person is experiencing a situation where their spouse just up and decided that they didn't want to be married anymore. When they called, Jacqueline, who has a big heart full of compassion asked, "How are they doing?" In that situation, there are children involved. This family is struggling along just as we are only their Daddy isn't coming home. Jacqueline and I talked about how hard it is to be without a Daddy, and her heart is so sad for this family.

In that moment I realized the parallel that we Christians have with my current status. I am slogging along up here in Alaska, two kids, a dog, a new house, boxes everywhere, and a stress level that exceeds the amount of cortisol my body is able to secrete. Each day, I do my best to compartmentalize....what is it that I have to accomplish today? I can't even think about tomorrow. But I find hope and comfort in knowing that in five 'short' weeks, Brad will be with us again. I reassure my children that Daddy IS coming back and that we just had to go ahead of him this time.

Similarly, we Christians are here on this earth though we are not of this world. We keep struggling each day to remember what it is that we need to accomplish. We find hope in knowing that we aren't alone in our efforts and that if Jesus went before us, he will return! Our Daddy is coming back for us. He has gone ahead to prepare a place for us so that where He is, there we may also be. Amen? My stressed out heart finds joy in remembering that He is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment